Sunday, April 28, 2013

Roast Mortem, by Cleo Coyle

Read on my Kindle. This is the ninth installment of Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse Mystery series and I have mixed feelings about it. I really liked the look inside the workings of an FDNY house, but the execution of the story felt kind of clunky. The metaphors were a little too obvious; the dialogue was a little too unnatural; the recipes were a little too numerous; the characters were acting a little too much out of character; and the plot was a little too much like the TV series "House" (this is what happened! no? then this must be it. no? then how about this? no? does this work? i knew it all along.). To top it off, the Kindle edition I read was riddled with typos. I don't know if the print version suffered the same fate; I tend to think "probably" since the first few books of the series had the same problem.

No comments: