Saturday, August 23, 2014

Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman

What the heck? How could I not LOVE this book the first time I read it in April 2010? Can you believe I wrote:

I wish I were more familiar with London so that I could properly enjoy this wonderfully descriptive and imaginative book. Having never been to London Above, much less London Below, I feel like I missed out on some of the nuances of the story locales. When I read fantasy books, it's much easier for me to imagine completely fictional worlds than to try to fit the fantastical into real-life cities, streets, and buildings. Nevertheless, I still thoroughly enjoyed the story, the characters, and Neil Gaiman's writing skills.

This time around, I still haven't been to London Above or London Below, but it doesn't matter. Neil Gaiman made them both come alive for me. Not only is he a better writer than I am, he is a better reader. He can read me any book, any day.

No comments: