Sunday, April 26, 2015

Celestial Land and Sea, by Amy McLean

LibraryThing Early ReviewersReceived from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program in March 2015.

The description of this book intrigued me. I'm a fan of London, time travel, pirates, romance, and adventure, so I was hoping to be a fan of this book. While the broad strokes of the plot had promise, the details of the story left me wishing the book had gone through a few more rounds of editing before being published. There was a lot going on, and yet nothing really happened. The transitions between past and present were handled well, but I never felt that Grace, whether she was Grace or GrĂ¡inne, was fully engaged in either; neither was I, for that matter. Perhaps a younger reader would have more patience for the story. I can't fathom why Grace, a young woman with her whole career ahead of her, would want to keep a job she hates even after gaining the self-confidence she needs to get out of there. Because of a guy? Was that supposed to be her happy ending?

No comments: