Saturday, August 31, 2019

My Dear Hamilton, by Laura Kaye and Stephanie Dray

Bought Kindle version from Amazon as a Christmas gift to myself before seeing the traveling Hamilton musical in January 2019, yet it took me eight months to get around to reading it. I'm sorry I waited so long: this book was very interesting historical fiction that contradicted some of the streamlined Hamilton, but also seemed to pay homage to some of its lyrics by including them as dialogue or descriptive prose. What an amazing world the Schuylers and Hamiltons (and Washingtons, Jeffersons, Madisons, Monroes, and Burrs, etc.) lived in. It was a world where you could make a difference, and a world where you could just as easily die of the common cold. There were a lot of parallels with today's politics—current administrations striving to undo previous administrations' work, divisive partisanship, obstruction, corruption, but also glimmers of hope. It makes you think of history differently than it is taught in school and changed my opinion about the man on the nickels in my pocket.

No comments: