Saturday, August 02, 2008

Wild Releases #344 - #350 & OBCZ Find #1

After our meeting last night, I was talking to my roommate about book clubs and reading and loving books and she said, "I heard of this program once where you go on this website and register your books and then you just leave them for other people to find and you can track them, but I can't remember the name of it." So I pulled out my BookCrossing T-shirt and BookCrossing tote bag full of labelled books and said, "Could it be BookCrossing?" And it was. She was so glad to finally know its name and I answered some of her questions and showed her the labels and bookmarks I have made. I think that was my first face-to-face encounter with someone who knew what BookCrossing was!

I was able to leave some books today before and after our meeting. This morning, on my way downstairs to breakfast, I left "The Devil Wears Prada," by Lauren Weisberger, on the ice machine on the second floor of The Nittany Lion Inn. On my way back from storing my luggage in my car, I left "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," by Betty Smith, on a statue in front of the J. Orvis Keller building on Penn State's campus. And finally, after our meeting was over and done and goodbyes were exchanged, I left "To Kill A Mockingbird," by Harper Lee, at the sundial outside The Nittany Lion Inn.

One of the reasons I was glad to go to the conference in State College was so I could visit an Official BookCrossing Zone (OBCZ). Though there are some closer to me than State College, this is the first time I found myself in the right place at the right time. On my way home, I stopped by Webster's Cafe on Aaron, ordered a single mocha, and perused their OBCZ shelf to find a book to bring back to Greensburg with me. I found Anne Tyler's "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant," and left three of my own there: "Water for Elephants," by Sara Gruen, "Five Quarters of the Orange," by Joanne Harris, and "P. T. Barnum: America's Greatest Showman," by Philip B. Kunhardt Jr., et al.

I had one final release to take care of once I reached Greensburg. I left "The Bungalow Mystery," by Carolyn Keene, on a table outside the women's restroom on the first floor of the Mountain View Inn. It's good to be home, sweet home.

"The Devil Wears Prada," "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," "To Kill A Mockingbird," "Water for Elephants," "P.T. Barnum" and "The Bungalow Mystery" are releases #103 - #108 for MRWiley's 2008 Movie/TV books release challenge.

No comments: