Sunday, November 09, 2008

Catch #59!

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" has been found and I think this may be my lengthiest journal to date. BookCrossing member InSitu writes: "I found this book at work! It's one of my all time favorite books, too!

"I work at the art museum in Greensburg, PA. I saw it on the receptionist's desk, and at first glance I was excited that she was reading this book. Then I saw it was a BookCrossing book and I had to ask her about it. Turns out, it wasn't hers; two co-workers found it outside of the building. They were outside because someone had tipped over our large, blow-up, anthropomorphized Bessemer Furnace. (Our museum purchased it from the Pittsburgh ROARS public art project.)

"So, I said I would take the book, and I did. I did a little furtive reading today at work, while waiting for the opening of the museum's newest exhibit. The introduction that Oscar Wilde wrote for his story was so apropos for the day, and I can only assume that the releaser left it at the museum as a commentary on art. ;)

"The real question is, releaser, did you actually lose this book in the process of tipping over our inflatable? Did it fall out of your bag as you were pulling at the balloon? Because that is what my (paranoid) boss thought. I had to reassure him that people who use Bookcrossing and read Oscar Wilde don't make a habit of vandalism and tipping things."

Please be reassured, InSitu, that I have far too much respect for the museum and Oscar Wilde to tip over the balloon. I put the book on one of the black straps that was holding the balloon down, took a quick picture and drove away. Welcome back to BookCrossing!

No comments: